“i think this could be the next barbri honestly.”
—my ex-girlfriend (it’s ok, she’s trustworthy)
Welcome! Make This Your Last Time is a space for you, the bar applicant, to achieve your ultimate goal of conquering the bar that blocks your path to a free life.
Yes, I am. What are you hoping to do by passing the bar?
- “I need to pay off these damn student loans”
- “All my friends have their own career… I don’t want to delay mine any longer”
- “I finally escaped law school. I just want this behind me and move on with my life—no celebrations needed”
But… it’s easier said than done.
- “I have no idea what I’m doing”
- “I’m emotionally and mentally drained”
- “I’ve underestimated the work that goes into this”
- “Barbri was a scam, but I’m scared to stray, and I have no idea how to approach this exam anymore”
- “I don’t know why I can’t produce good answers, even though that person managed to pass. WTF?”
I know firsthand how sickening it is to fail and have raw reality shove itself in your face.
My name is Brian (user “a male human” on TLS forums), and I failed to pass the California Bar Exam in 2013 July.
This was a pivotal moment for me—the biggest one of my life. I needed to figure out this bar thing so I could pass and not feel like a failure as a person.
So I found what worked and what didn’t, passed the following February, and couldn’t help but share it all on a website that doesn’t even have the word “bar” in it.
This is not just for CA bar takers or repeaters because everyone can extract insights from discussions inspired by the hardest bar exam (debate me, New Yorkers). If you’re lonely and frustrated about the bar, I’m here to open up my chamber of secrets.
Given a choice, you want someone who knows what to do as well as what not to do, over a generic hotchpot of advice from someone who somehow ended up passing their first time. It’s like people who passed the MPRE: “Oh, it’s really easy! Just study like the week before, lol.” It was “really easy” because you happened to pass, jackass. God, law students are the worst.
But I’m invested in your success. I created this website because I was upset at the lack of reliable and useful information on the bar. My role is to make things more transparent and approachable using what I learned—amusing myself in the process—because the bar exam shouldn’t be this traumatizing.
There’s a lot of BS out there that doesn’t really help (“Top 10 tips on how to memorize!!!” by Mr. Stuffy Lawyer that I can send you that you’ll promptly forget about if you even read it).
Instead, I’ll give you a candid look at bar exam preparation after everyone else has bounced. My work is done if I’ve made myself obsolete.
You’ll get the most thorough, insightful, and actionable solutions for your problems about preparing for the bar exam here. Compare with other websites to see for yourself and see these success stories from some of my readers.
No canned and droning lecturing or “advice,” just what I did and what I would do if I had to take the bar again. Ultimately, it’s your bar. Do what works for you.
You could go out there and peck out the good advice from resources scattered all over the place. How do we even know if a piece of advice is good in the first place? With so much at stake, you can’t afford to try out random tactic after tactic.
BTW, that applies to my website, too. All our lives, we’ve depended on so-called experts, but ultimately, it’s about results. Am I helping you take action and become more effective? If my material isn’t working for you, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.
That said, do you want to know how I did it (and how it worked for others)?
My philosophy is to empower you with the best chance of passing within this hazy world of bar prep. To that end, I offer these resources to help you Make This Your Last Time:
- Weekly emails: During bar seasons (May-July and Nov-Feb), I’ll send you material handcrafted by yours truly (see past emails). You’ll also get goodies when you sign up, like my free guide to kicking ass on the Performance Test / MPT; $30 off AdaptiBar, $25 off BarEssays.com (CA only), and $20 of for BarIssues.com (CA only); and material I don’t cover on the blog.
- The blog is where I publicly discuss strategies and tactics needed to give yourself an edge over the other half of bar takers whom you’ll leave in the dust.
- Magicsheets are condensed outlines with 95% of the issues and rules you need to know for essays and the MBE in 5% of the length of a traditional bar outline. Out of frustration, I created and used the predecessor of Magicsheets to pass the CA bar exam on my second try. I can only offer subjects tested on the CA bar (some overlap with UBE), but non-CA bar takers also have found Magicsheets helpful. MBE subjects available separately.
- Approsheets are condensed essay attack sheets (templates in checklist and flowchart formats) that help you identify the relevant issues in an essay via systematic issue checking. Developed and battle tested with real bar examinees. Non-CA bar takers also have found Approsheets helpful. Combo with Magicsheets also available.
- Passer’s Playbook: The MTYLT Action Guide for Future Attorneys to Prepare for the Bar Exam, AKA “the playbook” is a comprehensive self-study guide that I wish I had when I first took the bar. An “Acceletator Kit” 2.0 update is coming out in May/June!
- The private Facebook community is a virtual study group where others like you are quick to help, support, and congratulate each other, and I share timely things. It’s a very casual, stop by whenever you want, you might see a post in your feed, don’t really have to talk about the bar, share your achievements, make friends, no pressure type thing. Please note that a real name and account will be required for approval in order to increase privacy and security of the group.
If you have any burning pains, send me your questions, comments, confessions, etc. to brian [you know what goes here] makethisyourlasttime.com.
I read and respond to all initial emails. It may take anywhere from a few hours to a few days depending on the backlog in my inbox or at work, or personal matters.
Disclaimer: MakeThisYourLastTime.com makes no representations or warranties with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the content of this publication and specifically disclaims all warranties, including without limitation, warranties of fitness for a particular purpose. Using this website entails the understanding that MakeThisYourLastTime.com is not engaged in rendering legal or other professional services or advice. Furthermore, MakeThisYourLastTime.com shall not be liable for any damages arising from use thereof.
In short, I do not give advice, just what worked for me to pass the second time, along with the motivation to try it. Although I’ve made all efforts to ensure all information and resources presented are accurate and comprehensive, please note that I can’t be responsible for any pecuniary, emotional, or other damages you incur as a result (such as not passing the bar exam and consequences thereof). If you’ve determined that a statement (of law or otherwise) could be more accurate, please email me along with supporting documentation, and we can discuss it.